Hong Kong Heritage Museum located on banks of the Shing Mun River

Hong Kong Heritage Museum, located on the Shing Mun riverside at Sha Tin, was opened in 2000 and occupies a gross floor area of some 32,000 sq m with a net exhibition area of 7,500 sq m, making it the largest museum of its kind in Hong Kong. It is housed in a five-storey building with Chinese-style roof and courtyard and attracts almost half a million visitors a year. The museum has a collection of about 70,000 artefacts representing the history, art and culture of Hong Kong and an exhibition There are six permanent galleries;

The Orientation Theatre offers a preview of the displays in each gallery with an overview of the cultural characteristics of Hong Kong and the opportunity to view a short film “Our Living Heritage”.

Children’s Discovery Gallery is designed for kids from 4 to 10 and offers a fun way for kids to learn about nature and archaeology through interactive and hands-on exhibits in eight play zones including representations of Mai Mo Marshes and a traditional New Territories village. Hong Kong Toy Story features a wide range of toys designed, manufactured, sold and used in Hong Kong.

Cantonese Opera Heritage Hall covers the origins of Cantonese Opera and its golden periods on stage as well as scenes from overseas performances. The gallery has over 200 exhibits including a Cantonese Opera stage, costumes, make-up, musical instruments, programmes, posters, contracts, gramophone records and a representation of the Lee Theatre showing Cantonese Opera films. Visitors can also apply virtual make-up.

New Territories Heritage Hall features reconstructions of a village with ancestral hall and fishing village scenes and traces the development of the New Territories with eight main themes: Natural Environment, Prehistoric Life, Trade and Coastal Defence, Glimpse of the Fishermen’s Life, Life in a Village, British Rule, Great Transformation and New Challenges.

Chao Shao-an Gallery is an art gallery dedicated to the artist Professor Chao Shao-an (1905-1998) who made a highly significant contribution to the art scene in Hong Kong through his life-long devotion to Chinese painting. Many of Professor Chao’s paintings are on display along with other artefacts including sketches, manuscripts, seals, newspaper clippings, photos and video documentaries by and about the artist.

TT Tsui Gallery of Chinese Art features over 400 examples of Chinese Art from the Neolithic period up to the twentieth century. The exhibits have been donated mostly by The Tsui Art Foundation and include Chinese ceramics, pottery sculptures, bronze, jade and lacquer ware, stone carvings and furniture.

The Jin Yong Gallery, opened in early 2017, is themed on the renowned writer Dr Louis Cha (pen name Jin Yong) and showcases both the creative processes behind and the wide-ranging impact of Dr Cha's martial arts novels through more than 300 exhibits. The gallery includes an interactive game zone and occupies an area of 2,500 square feet.

The museum opened a new permanent exhibition "Hong Kong Pop 60+" on 28th July 2021. The exhibition focuses on the development of Hong Kong popular music, film, television and radio programmes, as well as comics and toys, from the end of World War II to the early 2000s. It illustrates the evolution of Hong Kong popular culture and introduces the social backgrounds and artistic features. The exhibition encourages visitors to explore Hong Kong's past and preserve Hong Kong's diverse culture. Invaluable exhibits include a mini dress covered in sparkling sequins worn by actress Dr Josephine Siao in a Cantonese musical film in the 1960s; a platinum disc won by Sam Hui in 1978 for the album "The Private Eyes"; stage costumes of the late singers Anita Mui, Leslie Cheung and Roman Tam; the first acoustic guitar of the late singer Wong Ka-kui; an admission ticket to the first Miss Hong Kong Pageant in 1973; a coloured sketch by film poster artist Yuen Tai-yung; and the poster artwork, trophies and book collection of designer Dr Kan Tai-keung.

The interactive film scene photo-taking zone in the exhibition where visitors can take photos as characters in classic Hong Kong films

The museum also has six Thematic Galleries for temporary exhibitions, a 350-seat theatre where performances including free “bite-size” Cantonese Opera extracts, folk songs, dance shows and children’s programmes often take place at weekends and the museum also offers Cantonese Opera Appreciation Classes in conjunction with Hong Kong Tourism Board.

Museum facilities also include a Resource Centre, gift shop, tea house and snack bar.

A major large-scale exhibition illustrating the life and work of the late martial arts movie star Bruce Lee, entitled "Bruce Lee: Kung Fu. Art. Life", opened at the museum in July 2013 and ran until the end of 2020 until replaced by an update exhibition "A Man Beyond Ordinary: Bruce Lee" which runs for five years from November 2021. Plans for a permanent Bruce Lee museum at the star's former home in Kowloon Tong, which had been supported by Lee's daughter, fell through in 2011, when agreement could not be reached with the building's owner. For more information see CURRENT EXHIBITIONS

Classic yellow jumpsuit worn by Bruce Lee in the film "The Game of Death" is one of the exhibits in the "A Man Beyond Ordinary: Bruce Lee" exhibition which runs until 2026 at the Heritage Museum


2016/17     787,039
2017/18  1,142,235
2018/19     660,506
2019/20     538,610*
2020/21       94,243*

2021/22*    326,000*

2022/23      451,000

*Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic LCSD museums were temporarily and intermittently closed during 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 periods.

There museum has three branch museums in the New Territories, Hong Kong Railway Museum at Tai Po Market, Sam Tung Uk Museum at Tsuen Wan and Sheung Yiu Folk Museum at Sai Kung (details of these museums can be found below).


Depiction of life in a fishing village, New Territories Heritage Hall

In December 2023 the Culture, Sports and Tourism Bureau indicated that it was considering relocating Hong Kong Science Museum from its present location in Tsim Sha Tsui to the current site of Hong Kong Heritage Museum in Sha Tin. Collections from the Heritage Museum would moved to other venues throughout the territory. The current site of the Science Museum would be used to build a new museum to showcase China's achievements including national history, foreign invasions and the country’s resistance, the development of the Chinese Communist Party and the founding of China, national security, aerospace technology with Hong Kong-specific themes also expected to be included. However, in March 2024 the government confirmed that the Science Museum will remain at its current location in Tsim Sha Tsui and the Heritage Museum will not close.

LOCATION – 1 Man Lam Road, Sha Tin

OPENING HOURS – 10am to 6pm Monday and Wednesday to Friday, 10am to 7pm Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. Closes at 5pm on Christmas Eve and Chinese New Year’s Eve. Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of Chinese New Year.

ADMISSION – free (previous admission charge discontinued from 1st August 2016)

GETTING THERE – MTR Che Kung Temple Station exit A then 3 minute walk via footbridge over river or from MTR Sha Tin or Tai Wai Stations 15 minute walk. Bus routes A41, E42, 80M, 86, 89 and 282 stop on Lion Rock Tunnel Road near the museum.



Restored former KCR Tai Po Market Station is home of Hong Kong Railway Museum

Opened in 1985 at the restored old Tai Po Market Station the Hong Kong Railway Museum is an open-air branch of the Heritage Museum and illustrates the history of local railway transportation, primarily the British Section of the old Kowloon-Canton Railway which in late 2007 was absorbed into the MTR network. The current MTR East Rail line to the border stations of Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau and Inter-City cross-border services to Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing run alongside the museum. The old station building which dates back to 1913 is built in traditional Chinese style with pitched roof and ridges and gables are decorated with motifs such as red bats, peonies and magpies. The station building houses a small exhibition area and preserved booking office. Outdoor exhibits include a narrow gauge steam locomotive, diesel electric locomotive, six historical coaches which visitors can walk through, signalling equipment and a red brick building which serves as the museum office. At weekends a short video “Train” produced by RTHK in 1981 (Cantonese dialogue) is shown four times in one of the preserved coaches.The museum has recently undergone a major revamp culminating in November 2020 with the display of its latest permanent exhibit, Kowloon - Canton Railway third class train coach 313, built in 1921 and retired in the early 1980’s when the line became fully electrified. Before being transported to the museum the coach, which had been kept outdoors, underwent a major renovation.

Following a short closure for enhancement work the museum reopened to the public from 4th October 2023 with a new addition to its existing collections, Diesel Electric Engine No. 60 - "Peter Quick" (L60). L60, which commenced operation in 1974, was one of the last fleet of diesel electric engines introduced to Hong Kong for the Kowloon-Canton Railway. Operating on the East Rail Line, L60 had witnessed the golden era of railway freight services between Hong Kong and the Mainland. Following the full electrification of the Kowloon-Canton Railway in 1983, L60 was withdrawn from passenger services and switched to hauling freight and maintenance trains. It was named after Mr Peter Quick, the second Managing Director of the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation, and was the last locomotive named after a person in Hong Kong. After serving Hong Kong for nearly half a century, L60 was retired from service in 2021. L60 was handed over to the museum for its permanent collection and display by the MTR Corporation Limited with the conservation work supervised by the Conservation Office of the Leisure and Cultural Services Department.

Locomotive L60 "Peter Quick"


2016/17  275,809
2017/18  295,479
2018/19  277,775
2019/20  200,702*
2020/21    66,779*

2021/22  134,000*

2022/23  169,000

*Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic LCSD museums were temporarily and intermittently closed during 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 periods.


Preserved diesel-electric locomotive "Sir Alexander"

LOCATION – 13 Shung Tak Street, Tai Po Market, Tai Po

OPENING HOURS – 10am to 6pm Sunday, Monday and Wednesday to Saturday. Closed Tuesdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of Chinese New Year. Closes at 5pm on Christmas Eve and Chinese New Year's Eve.


GETTING THERE – MTR East Rail to Tai Po Market then follow tourist signs via path alongside railway line and under railway bridge and continue following signs along Wan Tau Street and Heung Street (about 15 minute walk). MTR East Rail to Tai Wo, walk to riverside, cross first river bridge and follow tourist signs to museum (about 15 minute walk). Bus routes 72, 72X,73X,74X,75X,271 and E41 stop on Kwong Fuk Road, about 5 minute walk from the museum.



Sam Tung UK Museum, Tsuen Wan

The Qing Dynasty Hakka village of Sam Tuk Uk (“three-beam dwelling”) founded by the Chan clan is one of the oldest walled villages in Hong Kong dating back to around 1786. Following it being declared a listed monument it was restored and converted into a museum which opened to the public in 1987. The villagers had depended largely on agriculture for their livelihoods and after setting at Sam Tung Uk constructed seawalls to reclaim land for farming. Located in present day Tseun Wan the museum which is a branch of the Hong Kong Heritage Museum covers an area of 2000 sq m and comprises an ancestral hall with altar, orientation room, reception room, multi-purpose exhibition hall featuring exhibitions “Tseun Wan:Then and Now” and the hands-on “The Way We Were”, four central houses with historical period displays including furniture, cooking vessels and agricultural implements illustrating the daily lives of the Hakka people, eight side houses with ethnographical displays on topics such as the history of rice growing in Hong Kong, lecture room and landscaped garden. During late 2015 and early 2016 a renovation of the Exhibition Hall was carried out and 10 local items that have been inscribed on China's national list of intangible cultural heritage were introduced, being: Cantonese opera, herbal tea, the Cheung Chau Jiao Festival, the Tai O dragon boat water parade, the Yu Lan Ghost Festival of the Hong Kong Chiu Chow community, the Tai Hang fire dragon dance, the arts of the Guqin (the craft of Qin making), the Quanzhen temples Taoist ritual music, the Hakka unicorn dance of Hang Hau in Sai Kung, and the Wong Tai Sin beliefs and customs. They cover areas such as performing arts, rituals, festive events and traditional craftsmanship, and represent the efforts of different local communities in passing on their customs and traditions. The Hong Kong Intangible Cultural Heritage Centre was officially opened at the museum on 18th June 2016 as a display and resource centre. It aims to enhance the public's understanding and awareness of ICH through various educational and promotional activities, including exhibitions, lectures, seminars, ICH bearers' demonstrations and workshops. A major revamp of the ICH took place in 2021. The major part of the works was to restructure the gallery and activity space of the Centre, covering an exhibition hall, row houses, dwellings, orientation rooms and an activity room. A new "Lost and Sound - Hong Kong Intangible Cultural Heritage" Exhibition Series, featuring about 40 Hong Kong ICH items, was launched to showcase the wisdom of folk craftsmanship and the vibrancy of folk culture in Hong Kong. The three themes of the exhibition series are "Hong Kong Festivals and Traditional Craftsmanship", "Ordinary ∙ Extraordinary" and "Sam Tung Uk and Traditional Village Culture". Architect and artist, Mr Stanley Siu, was invited as the Guest Curator and around 30 ICH bearers participated in the production of the exhibitions, which showcase an array of local traditional culture and craftsmanship including the techniques of making flower boards, lion heads, wood carving, Hong Kong cheongsams, guangcai, Chiu Chow sugar loafs, mahjong tiles, galvanised iron products, dim sum and bamboo steamers, as well as performances in traditional festivals such as hand puppet Cantonese opera, bayin (eight categories of instrumental music) and unicorn dance. In the gallery, visitors can also hear the sounds associated with ICH matters, such as the noise of the hustle and bustle heard at festive occasions, the sound of sewing cheongsams with sewing machines, etc, as introductory concepts to experience what it is like at these scenes.

Picture shows the Guest Curator, Mr Stanley Siu, introducing the stepping sounds of a unicorn dance in the gallery


2016/17  107,493
2017/18  101,227
2018/19  116,451
2019/20    68,339*
2020/21      9,189*

2021/22    34,000*

2022/23    57,000

*Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic LCSD museums were temporarily and intermittently closed during 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 periods.


Right Lane, Sam Tung Uk Walled Village Museum

LOCATION – 2 Kwu Uk Lane, Tsuen Wan

OPENING HOURS – 10am to 6pm Sunday, Monday and Wednesday to Saturday. Closed Tuesdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of Chinese New Year. Closes at 5pm on Christmas Eve and Chinese New Year's Eve.


GETTING THERE – MTR to Tsuen Wan exit E. Do not take footbridge across Sai Lau Kok Road instead from street level follow tourist signs along Sai Lau Kok Road (which runs parallel to station) to museum (about 5 minutes walk east of station). Bus routes 40,43X,48X,49X,57M,58M,59A,66,67M,68A,69M,73X,235,278P,278X,A31 all stop on Castle Peak Road or Tai Ho Road between 5 and 10 minutes walk from the museum.




Six-metre high watchtower at the remote Sheung Yiu Folk Museum on the Pak Tam Tang Chung Nature Trail

The museum reopened on 23rd December 2022 following completion of a renovation project which commenced 1st December 2021.

Dating back to the late 19th century Sheng Yiu Village was founded by members of the Wong clan were Hakka immigrants from Guangdong Province. The villagers were engaged in fishing, farming and the manufacture of lime, bricks and tiles and built a lime kiln and brick kiln and at its peak the village employed over a hundred workers. During the 1950’s the residents began moving away to urban areas and by the next decade the village had become completely abandoned. In 1981 the government declared the village and lime kiln historical monuments and began restoration work to turn part of the abandoned village into a public museum which opened in 1984. The museum is now a branch museum of Hong Kong Heritage Museum. The museum stands in a remote location in Sai Kung Country Park and is unique amongst Hong Kong’s museums in that the surrounding environment remains almost as it was when the village was founded. The village was built on a platform 2 metres above ground as a defence against both flood and enemies and a six metre high gate tower enabled any approaching invaders to be spotted. The museum occupies houses, pigsties, cattle shed, watch tower and drying terrace and the permanent exhibition includes agricultural implements, pots, furniture and other everyday items. The lime kiln is located a short distance from the museum alongside the path and the remains of abandoned village houses which did not form part of the restoration project can still be seen.


2016/17  40,722
2017/18  39,043
2018/19  42,590
2019/20  35,033*
2020/21    9,041*

2021/22  27,000*

2022/23  17,000

*Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic LCSD museums were temporarily and intermittently closed during 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 periods. The museum was closed for renovation from December 2021 to December 2022.

Courtyard, Sheung Yiu Folk Museum

LOCATION – Pak Tam Chung Nature Trail, Sai Kung East Country Park, Sai Kung

March to September (Monday, Wednesday to Sunday) 10 am to 6 pm
October to February (Monday, Wednesday to Sunday) 10 am to 5 pm

Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of the Lunar New Year


GETTING THERE – Bus 94 ( approx every 30 minutes from Sai Kung (destination Wong Shek Pier). Get off the bus at Pak Tam Chung at entrance to country park by Sai Kung Country Park Visitor Centre and barrier and follow signs for Pak Tam Chung Nature Trail and Sheung Yiu Folk Museum. The museum is about 30 minutes walk from bus stop. Recreational bus service 96R (from Diamond Hill MTR Station - Sundays and public holidays only) also stops at Pak Tam Chung.

Also green minibus 7 or 9 from Sai Kung Town green minibus terminus to Pak Tam Chung.



Ping Shan Heritage Trail Visitors Centre housed in the old Ping Shan Police Station

Converted from the old Ping Shan Police Station set on a hilltop overlooking the north-west New Territories the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery opened to the public in 2007 following collaboration between the government Antiquities and Monuments Office and the members of the Tang Clan. The gallery displays various relics belonging to the Tang Clan, introduces the Ping Shan Heritage Trail which was established in 1993 and presents temporary thematic exhibitions on the history and culture of the New Territories. The Tang Clan, one of the major clans in the New Territories settled in Ping Shan in the 12th century having migrated from Guangdong Province and were attracted by the area’s fertile farmlands, sheltering mountains and plentiful water. The clan established “Three Wai’s” (walled villages) and “Six Tsuens” (villages) and later built numerous traditional Chinese buildings including ancestral halls, temples, study halls and pagodas for ancestral worship and education. The Ping Shan Tang Clan still maintain traditional customs such as ceremonies during festivals and the village elders have safeguarded a large number of cultural relics of traditional village life. The old police station which houses the gallery is a splendid two-storey building with arched verandah and a rear ancillary block. Some of the relics on display include a bridal sedan chair, baby seat, wedding coronet and embroidery. The Ping Shan Heritage Trail Gallery shows the route of the trail and describes the buildings on the trail and their history.

The Gallery attracted 71,000 visitors in the fiscal year ended 31st March 2017. 


The trail is about 1km in length and buildings and monuments along the trail are;

Tang Ancestral Hall (14th century), a magnificent three-hall structure with two courtyards

Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall (early 16th century), situated next to the Tang Ancestral Hall is also a three-hall building with two courtyards, completely renovated in 1995

Kun Ting Study Hall (1870), a two-hall building with courtyard

Ching Shu Hin (c.1870), an L-shaped two-storey building used as a guest house

Hung Shing Temple (c.1767), a two-hall building with open courtyard

Yeung Hau Temple (unknown date), a simple structure divided into three bays housing three statues

Hang Tau Tsuen Old Well (c.1800)

Sheung Cheung Wai (c.1800), the only walled village along the trail. The gate house, shrine, parts of the wall and some old houses still remain

Shrine of the Earth God, altar dedicated to the Earth God known to villagers as “She Kung” believed to be the protector of villager

Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda (c.1400), hexagonal-shaped three-storey green brick structure about 13 metres in height “Pagoda of Gathering Stars” intended as a fung-shui structure to ward off evil spirits.


Tang Ancestral Hall (left) and Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall (right) on the Ping Shan Heritage Trail

Printed trail guides detailing the trail route and buildings are available at the Gallery/Visitor Centre. Trail Guides can also be obtained from Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre in Kowloon Park and Hong Kong Planning and Infrastructure Exhibition Gallery at 2 Murray Road, Central.


LOCATION – Ping Shan, Yuen Long


Gallery – Gallery opening hours 10am to 6pm (March to September), 10am to 5pm (October to February). Closed Mondays (except public holidays) and the first two days of Chinese New Year.

On the trail;
Tang Ancestral Hall and Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall – 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm daily. Closed on first three days of Chinese New Year

Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda – 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm Sunday, Monday and Wednesday to Saturday. Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day (Dec 26) New Year’s Day and the first three days of Chinese New Year.


GETTING THERE – MTR Light Rail to Ping Shan or Tin Shui Wai or MTR West Rail to Tin Shui Wai. The Gallery, Visitor Centre and start of the trail are located near to Ping Shan Light Rail Station. The end of the trail is situated next to Tin Shui Wai MTR Light Rail/MTR West Rail Stations and it is suggested visitors start the trail by taking Light Rail to Ping Shan Station and visiting the Gallery/Visitor Centre first. Bus route 53 (Yuen Long to Tsuen Wan) stops at Ping Shan Light Rail Station.




Homi Villa, which houses the Airport Core Programme Exhibition Centre, was once staff quarters for British Army officers

The Hong Kong Airport Core Programme (ACP) was one of the largest civil engineering programmes ever undertaken in the world. The eight-year programme and involved ten major projects including;

• the new international airport at Chek Lap Kok which replaced the old airport at Kai Tak
• a new road and rail network providing speedy access to the airport and improving traffic links in urban areas including the 3.5 kilometre Lantau Link
• a major suspension bridge, the 2.2 kilometres long Tsing Ma Bridge, Kap Shui Mun Bridge and Ma Wan Viaduct
• reclaimed land for various uses on Hong Kong Island and in Kowloon
• a new town at Tung Chung
• a third cross-harbour tunnel, the Western Harbour Crossing

At its peak 34,400 people were employed on the programme and in the course of construction there were 7,542 industrial accidents and 49 fatalities.

The exhibition is housed in a distinctive white building known as Homi Villa, built privately in the early 1930’s. It was subsequently purchased by the Government and used as staff quarters for British army officers before being converted into the exhibition centre in 1995. There are five display areas containing models, photographs and descriptions of the ten projects. Video and slide shows in the audio-visual room highlight the ACP in general and in particular the Tsing Ma Bridge and new airport at Chek Lap Kok. There are panoramic views of the bridge from the the rooftop viewing platform and the garden which is equipped with telescopes. Visitors should allow about one hour to tour the exhibition.


Gallery, Airport Core Programme Exhibition Centre

LOCATION – 401 Castle Peak Road, Ting Kau, Tsuen Wan


OPENING HOURS – Tuesday to Friday 10am to 5pm, Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays 10am to 6-30pm. Closed Mondays

GETTING THERE – (KMB) Bus 53 or 234B from Tsuen Wan West MTR Station Public Transport Interchange. The stop to disembark at is displayed inside the bus as “Hoi Mei Beach”. The bus stop is outside the exhibition centre.

The exhibition centre is also served by green minibuses 96 from Tsuen Wan (Hoi Pa Street), 96M from Tsuen Wan MTR Station and 302 Kwai Fong to Hong Kong Garden (circular)


Telephone number for enquiries (852) 2491 9202 or (852) 2491 1786)